A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

counter offer...

  • Mrs Ingledew
  • Mrs Ingledew's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
26 Feb 08 #15056 by Mrs Ingledew
Topic started by Mrs Ingledew
simple question.
If stbx makes a stupid offer and I then return a reasonable one which he rejects can I then send a even more stupid one? Or will the court think me unreasonable.

figures are simply this:

My personal debt £46121
His personal debt £25000
These are all matrimonial debt.

Joint debt: £8876 loan
and £35K business tax

Assets house MAX £10k ( he says 20K)
My car £4500
His car £1500

He has left and is cohabiting and has not given a penny towards anything since he went over 9 months ago.

I have the mortage, bills etc and 2 children. Am now paying towards the joint loan as although he was primary name he hasn't paid a penny and am paying business debt on my own.

He has requested £30k. He is not earning but setting himself up as a painter of toy soliders. Using the company brand that he says he had nothing to do with... ummm.

I can earn up to 70kpa but freelance so am only in work if I have a contract and stay healthy.

I have offered a Clean Break provided I keep the house and the car. This in effect means I also take the joint debt.

Now I think this was more than reasonable.
He has rejected it and not made a counteroffer.
Would you
a) just go to court...
b) make an offer representative of 50%:50% split - meaning he takes 50% joint debt!!
c) offer him cash as well

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.