A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.


  • fee
  • fee's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
16 Mar 08 #16980 by fee
Topic started by fee
do i need to apply for ancillary relief before Decree Absolute?
havent got an english sol

  • Elizabeth
  • Elizabeth's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
16 Mar 08 #16982 by Elizabeth
Reply from Elizabeth
Hello Fee,

If the Decree Nisi is through then it is best to apply for ancilary relief asap if you intend to - however, can you not make an agreement with your S2BX? Going down the ancillary relief route is long and costly. Don't dismiss it on the divorce papers though - keep that option open! Any solicitor will tell you this - if you close off that avenue at this stage you will not be able to go back on that.

Hope this helps - Attilladahun on this site is very helpful...

  • mike62
  • mike62's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
16 Mar 08 #16983 by mike62
Reply from mike62
Fee, given the circumstances and the former husband's approach, it would make sense to apply for ancillary relief, just in case. You can always drop the action. But it sends a strong message to your former husband to negotiate a reasonable solution, or face the consequences. Strikes me he wants it all his way. You are still the primary carer for your children and the significantly lower earner. You are entering this stage in your life at a significant financial disadvantage.
Best of luck and keep posting

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.