A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

When do I stop paying?

  • del1948
  • del1948's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
17 Mar 08 #17044 by del1948
Topic started by del1948
I was divorced in 1996 and a maintenance order was agreed by the court for my three children and was the subject of a court order that said that maintenance should continue to be paid until all the chirdren reached the age of eighteen. The eldest children are over twenty and no longer subject to the order. My youngest child will be 17 in May 2008. She left school last year and now has a full-time job. She will not be going into further education.

I am finding it almost impossible to get a definitive response to this question

'Although the court order says until my daughter is 18 do I still have to pay maintenance if she is working full time? and If so how can I get the court to overturn the original court order.

My ex wife is wealthy and not on benefit and this arrangement was never covered by the CSA.

Any advice would be very welcome.

  • LittleMrMike
  • LittleMrMike's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
18 Mar 08 #17142 by LittleMrMike
Reply from LittleMrMike
Your obligations depend on the terms of the order. Without
seeing it neither I nor anyone could advise you. You can always apply for a variation on the grounds of changed circumstances but in view of the fact that she is so near to 18 I wonder if that would be worth the expense.

Mike 100468

  • del1948
  • del1948's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
18 Mar 08 #17148 by del1948
Reply from del1948
Thanks Mike, I had pretty well come to that conclusion myself.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.