A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

future estimated monthly expenditure??

  • soontobebroke
  • soontobebroke's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
24 Mar 08 #17517 by soontobebroke
Topic started by soontobebroke
Hi all,
I am currently puttin g together my form E...nothing too complicated until I get to section 3.1, current and future estmated monthly expenditure.
I have, since I separated from my STBX in December, been living with my parents as I am paying all the bills at the former marital home...mortgage, utilities, life insurance, phones etc etc.This means that I have no money at present to rent another house...in fact I dont have enough for a stamp to return the form but thats life!
I assume that I include on this form everything that I am currently paying but what is the definition of "reasonable" for future expenditure as it is totally dependant on what financial arrangements are agreed.
Are legal fees re the divorce (I am at nisi stage)a current or future expenditure? Similarly I have current substantial credit card debts which would be cleared if the house is sold, but who knows what will be ordered... therefore do I include repayments as future expenditure or assume that I will have enough equity to clear them.
Would appreciate any advice from people who have recently filed these forms as mu head is a shed just juggling money for the benefit of my son, let alone trying to sort me and the future out.

  • IKNOWNOW's Avatar
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
26 Mar 08 #17752 by IKNOWNOW
Reply from IKNOWNOW
Hi, soontobebroke

Sorry can't really help with completing your form E but just thought I would pose a few questions which may help your current financial situation.

It is admirable that you are paying all the household costs of the FMH, my xtb has only ever paid 40% of the mortgage and minimal child maintenance.

Is your x2b claiming all that she is entitled to in benefits? You don't say whether she works and how old your son is. She may be entitled to either Working Families Tax Credits if she works over 16 hours a week or Child Tax Credits if she doesn't work or works less than 16 hours a week. She will also be in receipt of Child Benefit and could also be able to claim Council Tax Benefit too.

I may be teaching a granny to suck eggs but a lot of men don't realise that their x partners are entitled to these benefits and try to juggle their finances to pay for 2 houses when in fact the burden could be eased.

I am a mum of 5 being taken to the cleaners by my x2b wanting to pay me as little as possible to bring up his 5 young children (between 1 & 11 yo).

As far as your Form E goes, your solicitor, if you have one should be able to advise you. If not, I would include in your post that you are self repping and a few people that are also self repping may be able to advise you.

I am sure someone on here will be able to provide you with the information you need.

Regards, Sarah

  • ambeljazz
  • ambeljazz's Avatar
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
31 Mar 08 #18136 by ambeljazz
Reply from ambeljazz
Hi soontobebroke,

I helped my partner fill in his Form E (he's was self representing).

For future expenses we listed all the existing expenses along with any increases we were aware of (ie council tax increase & utilities increase).

You also need to include as a future expense reasonable housing costs for yourself - ie, if the FMH isn't sold then what costs would you incur to rent or buy a suitable home?

Don't worry that your income doesn't support the costs of running two homes - it is an illustration that you have housing needs.

From our experience the information submitted on Form E hasn't really made any difference to the probable outcome.

I also agree with IKNOWNOW regarding Tax Credits etc, my partner's ex works 20 hours a week & claims tax credits - her net income including her benefits is much higher than mine & I work full time!!

  • maggie
  • maggie's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
31 Mar 08 #18138 by maggie
Reply from maggie
Try "Form E Income needs" thread - in Court Preparation section - might help?

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.