A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

House Contents

  • Manor9988
  • Manor9988's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
02 Apr 12 #321228 by Manor9988
Topic started by Manor9988
Hi ,
Have been separated 13 mths now and we have first appt in may re financial order.
I have about £8k in cash nad live in rented furnished accomodation as stbx lives with kids in FMH and has kept all contents.
I am concerned that the cash I do have (earnt since we split up) may be given mostly to stbx even though I have no house contents at all.
No white goods/sofas/tables/chairs/beds anything. She has the lot.
I was hoping to try and keep the £8k to try and build a deposit to buy house for myself but concerned judge will give to her.
Can I buy some contents for myself with this cash (without going over the top of course)or should I hope Judge will be reasonable and allow me to keep ?

  • mike62
  • mike62's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
03 Apr 12 #321476 by mike62
Reply from mike62

It is not unreasonable for you to furnish your accommodation to meet your needs and the needs of your children when they come to visit / stay.

If your wife has kept all of the home contents, then you need to live too and will have to replace the essential items that you no longer have access to.

Wouldn''t recommend buying that Bose docking station tho... Keep it real!


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.