A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

How to manage sale of house and payment of debts

  • anonymouse23
  • anonymouse23's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
07 Apr 12 #322212 by anonymouse23
Topic started by anonymouse23
I''ve had my final Ancillary Relief hearing and the judge has placed me in charge of selling a home I co-own with my ex. It''s outside of the UK which makes things more dificult. I will need to pay our joint debts and then split whatever is left after capital gains taxes in the country where it''s located and costs of sale 50/50.
What I need to know is:
1. are there any special procedures I need to follow, forms to be filed, certain kinds of records to keep?
2. how do I handle the issue of the payments I''m making and interest that''s accruing on our joint debts (credit cards and his loans)--he has paid nothing since separation almost 2 years ago. I am struggling to keep up but can do it I think, still, I''ve paid out a lot and will continue to do so.
3. As he is leaving the country shortly (and as no. 2 indicates isn''t keeping up with his obligations, has also evaded service of papers during the divorce, refused to sign etc.), the judge said the Court will sign papers if he will not. What court office would I go to if, for example, I need an "agreement to sell" or "assignment of deed" signed on his behalf? I doubt that he will even leave a forwarding address but hope it can be done in a straightforward way, but if not... could be a problem for potential buyers if getting the court to sign is a long process.
I want to make sure whatever I do is up front and fair so he hasn''t got anything to cause me further trouble over, as I''ve had quite enough!
Any ideas...?

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11