A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

consent order

  • pattyb
  • pattyb's Avatar Posted by
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
29 Apr 12 #327203 by pattyb
Topic started by pattyb
Hi forum
Can anyone advise me
If a Consent Order has not been approved by me and "stamped" by a judge can I go back
to negociation as I have documentary proof that my STBEX has not disclosed his income
and property. The question is can I instruct
my solicitors to stop it before it goes any further and what are the cost implications
to me personally..I am legally aided.
thanks patty b

  • MrsMathsisfun
  • MrsMathsisfun's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
29 Apr 12 #327210 by MrsMathsisfun
Reply from MrsMathsisfun
Was there a court hearing or was it done by via solicitor letters?

  • pattyb
  • pattyb's Avatar Posted by
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
29 Apr 12 #327221 by pattyb
Reply from pattyb
No court hearing to date..it was done by
solicitors letters and I did not sign anything as I was told on the phone that
I had to do it as I would not get legal aid
for FH (which wasn''t true). I contacted
solicitors shortly afterwards to say I was
very unhappy with what had happened .
My solicitors have been awful and negligent throughout.
I would really like
to know if the consent order only becomes
legally binding when the judge has seen it and approved it..I don''t approve it and don''t
want it to go ahead ..I hope to renegociate
the terms of it ..it is a heads of agreement
but I know that the information STBEX gave was false as he had not done adequate
disclosure..(I now have documentary proof
of his business) Can I tell solicitors
that I don''t approve it ..doesn''t "consent"
mean that both parties are in agreement
after full and factual disclosure?
Thanks Patty

  • rubytuesday
  • rubytuesday's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
02 May 12 #327891 by rubytuesday
Reply from rubytuesday
Just bumping this post up so someone might be able to help Patty :)

  • Fiona
  • Fiona's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
02 May 12 #327905 by Fiona
Reply from Fiona
The court can turn an unsigned agreement into an order of the court and to prevent this you, or your solicitor on your behalf, would need to show good cause for the order not to be made eg disclosure wasn''t "full and frank" and/or the agreement isn''t fair ie doesn''t comply with the law.

  • pattyb
  • pattyb's Avatar Posted by
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
02 May 12 #327922 by pattyb
Reply from pattyb
thank you for this reply

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11