A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Suspect Ancillary Relief

  • Handyman
  • Handyman's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
02 May 12 #328084 by Handyman
Topic started by Handyman
My lady friend divorced three years ago, after 24 years of marriage. The divorce took 3 months. Her husband was extremely wealthy. There was no disclosure, and she left with a guilt complex, pleased to accept whatever was offered. He is paying the mortgage on her very modest home, and providing an allowance of about £18,000 pa until she co-habits. In other words she is completely under his control. He has made vague promises to hand over her house when the family home worth about £1.5 million has sold, and she has accepted his integrity. He also owned a business worth about £5 million She is vague on everything that has happened, and does not understand the divorce laws, and is only now beginning to think she is insecure. Would she be able to get a fair settlement after just over 3 years. I do not know, but cannot believe that any of the financial arrangements were approved by a court, and cannot understand how divorce was completed without disclosure, considering the sums involved.

  • hadenoughnow
  • hadenoughnow's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
02 May 12 #328091 by hadenoughnow
Reply from hadenoughnow
If there is no Consent Order and she has not remarried then she can acpply for financial settlement. Disclosure would be required by the court. Or she could discuss a better settlement with him, perhaps via moderators, and if they can agree they can go for s consent order. After 25 years the start point would be 50:50.


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11