A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Any advice re consent order and property

  • Quick divorce
  • Quick divorce's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
22 May 12 #332286 by Quick divorce
Topic started by Quick divorce

Wonder if someone could offer me some advice over settlement.

Me and my stbx have been married for 3 years but cohabited for 6 yrs

The facts are
House is in my sole name and I have always paid the mortgage I owned the house before we met for approximately 2 years.

I have always paid all household bills including for the last 3 years his child maintance for his son from a previous marriage.

He bought in to the marriage around £30,000 pounds which is in an Isa in my name one in his and the remaining in a joint savings. He also had two policy''s that matured during the marriage of around £8500 which has been spent on holidays and some home improvements. He also has a small pension policy that is valued at around £30,000

No children during the marriage. My stbx has moved out and handed his key back.

I have a decent wage my stbx has his own business
Can anyone advise on what sort of settlement I would be looking at?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as would like to keep legal costs down to a minimum

Also is it possible to file for divorce without finance being agreed by using the online wiki service? Also will the divorce go through even if we have not agreed finance?

  • Lostboy67
  • Lostboy67's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
25 May 12 #332994 by Lostboy67
Reply from Lostboy67
Welcome to wiki but sorry you find yourself here.
I''ll try and answer some of your questions as best I can.

There are 3 parts to the divorce Decree Nisi/Decree Absolute and Concent Order. It is quite normal for the Nisi to be granted before the concent order, the Absolute always comes after the Nisi. It is usual to delay the Absolute until the financial side of things (Concent order) is signed, but this is not set in stone.

Your marriage even with co-habitation is on the short side. Usually in short marriages particularly where there are no children the starting point is that you take out what you put in.

Have you any idea what he wants in terms of settlement?
How much equity is there in the property?

Assuming the house does not have huge equity, the assets don''t seem massive when compared to how much it would cost to fight it out with solicitors.

Could you afford to give him his savings back and leave his pension, in exchange for not seeking anything from your property.


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.