A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

finances in a short marriage

  • ducky d
  • ducky d's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
26 May 12 #333189 by ducky d
Topic started by ducky d
After a short marriage of 18 months what can be expected re finances. My STBX is divorcing me and has about 3 times the income I do. No children are involved. He is saying a Clean Break is the only way forward. Is that correct or does he know something I don''t? This will be his 4th divorce, my first. Thanks for any advice.

  • Tets
  • Tets's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
26 May 12 #333214 by Tets
Reply from Tets
In a short marriage childless you would expect to leave with what you brought in - and yes a clean break.
Was there any pre marriage cohabitation ?

  • Fiona
  • Fiona's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
26 May 12 #333215 by Fiona
Reply from Fiona
With a short marriage usually each party takes away what they brought to the marriage. However, depending on the particular circumstances it may be reasonable for you to claim *something* towards the costs of rehousing and readjusting particularly if you changed your job to a less well paid one or relocated for the benefit of the relationship.

  • ducky d
  • ducky d's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
27 May 12 #333219 by ducky d
Reply from ducky d
Thank you

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.