A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Joint Loan

  • blonde cazza
  • blonde cazza's Avatar Posted by
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
05 Jun 12 #335101 by blonde cazza
Topic started by blonde cazza
I would like some advise
I have a joint loan with my stbx...he has said through his solicitor that he would pay half the settlenet figure in december....no cheque from him!...again 5 weeks ago his solicitor said he would be paying the loan but i received a letter from the company saying its not been paid!.
I have text him re this loan but he doesnt reply...
I have sent all coresspondence to the company to show that he said he would pay the loan.
Our finances have not gone to court as his solicitor said he would apply for a share in equity in my house even though hes just brought his own...because he wont go to mediation or exchange form E a well its a huge gamble and now we just need to sort out this financial tie!
I did think moving to my own house would make me feel alot more financially secure but this man is driving me mad as in our old house he just stopped paying bills without even telling me and came in and turned the gas off so his son and i froze!

  • jonathancj
  • jonathancj's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
11 Jun 12 #336043 by jonathancj
Reply from jonathancj
Courts can''t divide debts and an agreement between you and your ex doesn''t bind the lender, so it can sue you both if the debt isn''t paid. The only way you can be compensated is by some provision in a financial order. However, a financial order will take into account all the circumstances and not just the debt.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11