A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

First Hearing

  • puss4114
  • puss4114's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
07 Jun 12 #335487 by puss4114
Topic started by puss4114
My First Appointment was adjourned in April and my new appointment is set for the end of this month. My ex husband still has not replied to any correspondence sent by my solicitor even though I have paid a process server, serve these papers on him. Its costing me a fortune because of his ignorance. I know for a fact he will not turn up at court and have no representation.
Can somebody tell me if I am wasting my time and money (money I have''nt got) because it seems to me that he his not going to bother with any of the proceedings.

At my hearing at the end of the month my solicitor has appointed a barrister. Can somebody tell me why a barrister has been appointed and what will happen if my ex husband carries on with this silly behaviour?

Many Thanx

  • jonathancj
  • jonathancj's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
09 Jun 12 #335928 by jonathancj
Reply from jonathancj
Barristers exclusively carry out advocacy and don''t do any case preparation. That means they''re specialists in Court hearings. It may be a bit of over kill for a first hearing though. Still, barristers can often work out cheaper than solicitors in some circumstances.

  • NoWhereToTurnl
  • NoWhereToTurnl's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
10 Jun 12 #335970 by NoWhereToTurnl
Reply from NoWhereToTurnl

It looks like we have the same situation, even down to being in court at the end of the month, 28/6 for me. My ex has instigated this situation but as soon as he had to fill in form E he went to ground and has refused to provide any information.

My solicitor has also engaged the services of a barrister to represent me at the hearing for reasons of attaining my best outcome.

My ex h has persistently flouted court orders, lied in court and thinks because he is a doctor, he is above the law. In fact he and ow are a law unto them selves. He has caused me so much anguish, emotional trauma and financial hardship. I did not feel my previous solicitors were doing anything to move forward but now feel well supported and happy with the decisions they have taken.

In straight forward cases I agree having a barrister would be over kill but in complicated cases it could be more cost effective.

I have more faith now and even managing to eat and sleep a little. Wishing you all the best and if you would like to talk things over send me a PM.


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.