A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Husband will not budge

  • n377y
  • n377y's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
29 Jun 12 #339921 by n377y
Topic started by n377y
Husband left 2007 due to adultery. We were married 13 years, two children 17 & 7 and where joint directors of a business. He walked out on a major business contract on 7 November 2007 and left me on November 8.

Business finally collapsed May 2005, leaving me jobless and facing multiple business debts/harrasmment from debtors was such that I had to flee the marital home due to threats. Husband refused to help, took small amount of business from our company and set up a partnership.

House fell into arrears.
Secured loan (that was taken out for his motorbike) fell into arrears.
House was put on market but would not sell.
All his personal debts, phone and credit cards were not paid, debt letters came to house.

Within a year the house was at risk of repossession and I was at risk of bankruptcy. I went to court twice with the two different lenders and a further time to defend an interim charging order from one of his credit cards. Finaly moving back into marital home in January 2009.

4.5 years on. I am still in marital home. Have cleared all arears and paid the secured loan off that we took out for his motorbike and have as a result created £20k equity in property.

Husband now wants his share of the equity!!!!

So I am now about to commence the divorce proceedings and contact him for details of his solicitor and he tells me he cant afford one.

He wont discuss with me. he wont go to mediation. He wont get a solicitor.

So how can the financial arrangements regarding the house be brought to a close?

Is this now going to cost me an arm and a leg to bring it to court. I also dont want to pay in a penny!!!


  • wmorris2
  • wmorris2's Avatar
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
29 Jun 12 #339923 by wmorris2
Reply from wmorris2
If you have cleared arrears thats taken into account/

My ex wanted me ot pay for the house for 10 years so she could have half but give nothing in the mean time.

Maybe you should do what I did - tell them to jog on!. in the end due to what I had forked out she got nothing. Muhahahaha!

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.