A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Ex living in marital home and remarrying

  • hil12173
  • hil12173's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
14 Jul 12 #343167 by hil12173
Topic started by hil12173
Hi, just found this site, hope you can help. My ex and I bought a house together and have a joint interest only mortgage and secured loan, I moved out taking our child in 2008, ex continued to live there and pays all joint mortgage and secured loan. We divorced in 2011, no settlement / decision made on house at the time as was in negative equity and still is, we agreed to resolve it later, ex now has moved girlfriend in and she''s pregnant, I''ve read bits about ancilliary relief but still confused, if they marry, does he lose any claim on the house he still lives in and pays the mortgage for?
We bought the house together, I spent time renovating it, I think his new partner has now put time and money in redecorating. Does she have any claim?
I''ve got no interest in getting money out of the house, just want to have my name off it so I can move on, he has been told he can do this if he clears the arrears (about £500) and keeps it arrears free for 12 months but so far hasnt done this. Needless to say he wont take any advice from me! Any help would be great.

  • LittleMrMike
  • LittleMrMike's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
15 Jul 12 #343258 by LittleMrMike
Reply from LittleMrMike
You asked if he loses any claim to the house if he remarries.

The normal rule is that if he re-marries he cannot thereafter make any financial claims, but if he made any claims before the re-marriage, then the claims can still be pursued. However rem-marriage is a significant change in circumstances that will almost certainly have an effect on the financial settlement.

Her new partner will not acquire an interest in the house merely by redecorating it.


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.