A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Occupation Rent

  • humdrum
  • humdrum's Avatar Posted by
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
15 Jul 12 #343243 by humdrum
Topic started by humdrum
Barrister for chidrens case advised applying for occupation rent. Am getting ready to fill in forms for Ancillary Relief. But how do you indicate that you wish to apply for Occupation Rent?

  • LittleMrMike
  • LittleMrMike's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
16 Jul 12 #343351 by LittleMrMike
Reply from LittleMrMike
I must admit, I have never been very sure about the occupation rent business.
If my wife and I own a property jointly, we both have a right to live there because that is one of the rights that goes with ownership.
Even if I own the family home outright, my wife still has the right to live there because she is my wife and I have a duty to support her.
Against that, I think that both spouses have a duty to share household expenses if they can afford to do it and if it is reasonable for them to do so.
When you talk about occupation rent , I think you mean that where you live in a house that belongs wholly or in part to your spouse, you pay the spouse for the privelege of living in a house that, to a greater or lesser extent, is not yours.
The only case of a genuine occupation rent that I know is section 40(2) of the Family Law Act 1996, but that is more than a little esoteric.
In practice your barrister could apply for maintenance pending suit or interim periodical payments and when considering that issue, a Court has to take into account the needs of the recipient and the ability of the prospective payer to contribute to them, so whether you call it m.p.s. or occupation rent, it''s still money.

  • humdrum
  • humdrum's Avatar Posted by
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
16 Jul 12 #343358 by humdrum
Reply from humdrum
stbx lives in former marital home with no housing costs (mortgage already paid off). I pay interest on a large mortgage, some of which I hope can be paid off when financial matters get resolved.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.