A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Self representing...what do i ask for??!

  • Jo33
  • Jo33's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
16 Jul 12 #343615 by Jo33
Topic started by Jo33
I''m new to this so fingers crossed this is ok..! I''ve recently had to collect my file from my solicitor as I simply cannot afford to pay her £800 to write/read letters so will be self-representing from now on. Just had the first appointment and would like to make an offer to my now ex regarding settlement of the property dispute. I was thinking along the lines of a Mesher Order, with a 30% charge going to my ex, to realise on my 5 year old daughter reaching 18 or asking for a property adjustment order and to compensate my ex I won''t claim spousal maintenance or touch his pension and will take over the mortgage payments.
Our circumstances are as follows:
Me - Living in the FH with my two children aged 9 and 4, recently finished the legal practice course and am seeking employment, suffered with ME as a teenager and the stress of the last year has triggered a relapse. Only income is tax credits and CM, though I am cohabiting with my partner who is luckily helping out with all the bills!
Ex - living with his mother, paying no rent, bills etc, still pays the mortgage on the FH since I have been a full time student, has a substantial income and pension and very little in the way of outgoings.

Any thoughts on what I should take into account when drafting the offer, or the liklihood of the court considering the offers reasonable? Very desperate for the matter to be over and done with !:(

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.