A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Mortgage payments

  • coasttocoast
  • coasttocoast's Avatar Posted by
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
10 Aug 12 #348671 by coasttocoast
Topic started by coasttocoast
Hi, can anyone tell me if a judge at final hearing could order me to pay mortgage payments until the house has been sold. It is my belief that the house may take some time to sell due to structual defects which are ongoing although covered by an insurance claim.
The situation is that myself and my ex earn basically the same incomes and there are no dependant children.
Stbx currently resides there.
I currently live with my partner in a house she owns.

Thank you

  • minxy1912
  • minxy1912's Avatar
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
16 Aug 12 #349988 by minxy1912
Reply from minxy1912
probably not if there are no children, but remember you will get less of a pay out when it does sell. I dont know the ins and outs,but from what you have said, dont you think its a bit nasty leaving your partner for another woman,then leaving her high and dry in as you said "structural defects" are on the house!!!! grow some balls and face your comitments

  • SilverFir
  • SilverFir's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
16 Aug 12 #350016 by SilverFir
Reply from SilverFir
Judgemental, much?

Could be that the Ex didn''t give him a choice, told him to move out. Then I''d say she chose to stay in a house with structural defects undergoing repair.

OP, I''m not sure. The fact it can''t sell isn''t your Ex''s fault but she is benefiting from staying there by not having to pay rent elsewhere. I''d wait for a Wikipeep to come along and advise.

  • Northernboy
  • Northernboy's Avatar
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
16 Aug 12 #350020 by Northernboy
Reply from Northernboy
Jumping the gun without the facts like a few have on other threads.. God help any man who leaves there wife and posts on here!

  • coasttocoast
  • coasttocoast's Avatar Posted by
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
16 Aug 12 #350023 by coasttocoast
Reply from coasttocoast
Hi minxy, as you say you do not know the facts so please keep your opinions very much to yourself. I was after constructive advice and quite frankly i find your comments offensive.
The only facts you know are the one''s i have stated on here and one of the facts i will share with you is that i did not leave my wife for another woman. I left my wife because of domestic violence inflicted upon me througout the duration of my marriage.
Hope that clears things up for you!!

  • cookie2
  • cookie2's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
17 Aug 12 #350104 by cookie2
Reply from cookie2
It is difficult to say about these things without the full facts. But since you earn the same and do not have children that will simplify things immensely.

Normally when one spouse stays in the house, they will pay the whole mortgage. That is entirely reasonable, since they have exclusive use of the other spouse''s half, it''s only fair that they pay the whole mortgage in lieu of rent.

However that is only the case if the remaining spouse can afford it. If she cannot then you may have to contribute too.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.