A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Clean Break

  • nbroome
  • nbroome's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
17 Aug 12 #350150 by nbroome
Topic started by nbroome
I am currently going through the process of obtaining a Clean Break from my ex-wife, who i divorced in 2006, split up from in 2003. I have requested on many occasions that we obtain a clean break but unfortunatley she always said she is happy as she is. Well i have taken the step of issuing court papers after 3 months of ignoring my solictior apart from trying to stop me see the children. Since our split this is the following i have paid.
House deposit for her and children £5000
Solicitors Fees £1899
Ford Fiesta on Finance £5262.92
Black Horse Finance in joint names £2324.13
Money towards items for new house £4500
Barclaycard £3192.44
Full paymnet of mortgage since April 2004 to date.
At the time of buying the house the solictior acting on behalf of us both asked me to sign letters to say I would benefit to any future sale of the property, to which I do not want to anyway and that i would seek a reduction in mortgage payments if someone lived with Mrs Broome.
WOuld these letters stand up in court as binding and what do you believe my position is on the payments made so far?

  • LittleMrMike
  • LittleMrMike's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
18 Aug 12 #350345 by LittleMrMike
Reply from LittleMrMike
I hate to say this, but you were unwise to have the same solicitor represent you both. You see, solicitors are used to being asked to represent one client and to look after that client''s interests exclusively. If there is another party involved, then that other party should seek to get legal advice on their own account ( excuse the grammar ).

If you are asking me whether these letters will be regarded by a Court as binding, the answer is, in all probability, no.

Well, if you get involved in proceedings for a financial order, the Court will make its decision by reference to the circumstances at the time when the Court is called upon to make its decision. The fact that you made the payments is, of course, relevant ; if she has a house, that will be relevant. It will be relevant if she married or cohabits.


  • nbroome
  • nbroome's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
18 Aug 12 #350367 by nbroome
Reply from nbroome
Thanks for the reply.

At the time it was simply a case of buying a house rather than anything else, but I fully understand what you saying.

If I had my time again i would do so many things different, but hindsight is a wonderful thing!

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.