A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Ancillary Relief - what to expect?

  • .Charles
  • .Charles's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
10 Sep 12 #354995 by .Charles
Reply from .Charles
Is the child''s natural father still on the scene?


  • soulruler
  • soulruler's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
10 Sep 12 #354996 by soulruler
Reply from soulruler
I also think that bearing in mind the circumstance you should Petition for divorce. There is no shame in admitting that your wife has left the marital home with a child who you did not father and that you currently live in the house with a low earner that you support.

This is especially important bearing in mind that their is little equity in the home as at the moment there is a sort of status quo in that two people are displaced and two people are accommodated.

I see no reason why you should not disclose the party who is currently living with you and their circumstance - you are co-habiting and still married - that is a fact of life.

So is, without being prejudiced the current situation that you now face and so does the tax payer.

  • soulruler
  • soulruler's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
10 Sep 12 #354999 by soulruler
Reply from soulruler
Charles he isn''t he is unknown - convenient or otherwize.

That is the wifes choice whether to go into parenting responsibily or irresponsibly.

From my point of view I got pregnant without specifically discussing it with my ex except that he told me he was despirate for a family - what transpired later was anything but, he just wanted me for my potential money earning and potential inheritance and he is now using kids as a reason for all of what I and my total family is now going through.

As we all know there is more to this post than meets the eye and right now I am concerned for the original poster as i feel he might being going down the same route as the one he is currently trying to escape from.

I do not obviously know who has moved in but from the OP''s point of view I would be very careful right now not to be used as a meal ticket not only once but maybe twice.

  • Dima
  • Dima's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
10 Sep 12 #355016 by Dima
Reply from Dima
thanks guys,

Natural father is unknown to me, she has never disclosed his identity and for what I know he might be living abroad. Only the mother is stated on the Birth Certificate.
We married when the child was 3, and I have never adopted him or anything of this kind.
I Know CSA has no jurisdiction here, however I''m concerned about "children of the family" provisions.
One more thing, we own no house. Both my Ex and I live in rented accomodation.
divorce petition itself contains this category, and from what I see step children who lived under the same roof with us and were taken care of by both of us certainly fall under the category of children of the family.
Has anyone been in a situation where they had to pay maintenance for the step children? Or fought successfully against it?

  • soulruler
  • soulruler's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
10 Sep 12 #355020 by soulruler
Reply from soulruler
I haven''t been in the situation you experience but I have been in the situation of not denying by birth my childrens heritage.

The child is not yours end of unless you say so and then if your wife contests it is then she needs to apply for paternatity testing (which she would only do if you were trying to get financial advantage through an intimate situation).

Of course, the situation is reversed. Don''t be a lemon and do not be afraid of the unknown which to date has not happened.

Also do not be taken advantage of in the immediate present and the possible future. You confirm that you have a new parner living with you but you do not explain your family background. Based on the non disclosure I suspect that you come from a stable and loving set of parents and that possibly you are due to inherit something other than debt, no matter how small or large.

Just think on and remember that all is not necessarily as you would want and also that you cannot necessarily "use"! your parents and any assets they might have to make a new liason from an intimate point of view.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.