A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

What am I entitled to?

  • Angelcake
  • Angelcake's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
24 Sep 12 #357681 by Angelcake
Topic started by Angelcake
My husband and I are both 60 and have been married for 18 years. We have a son of 17 who will be 18 in March. He lives with my husband because it is near his work, but visits me regularly.
My husband moved out 18 months ago and bought a flat using the proceeds from the sale of our house in London as a deposit (£70k), with a mortgage of £100k. I continue to live in the marital home valued at £340k with £170k outstanding on the mortgage. I am unable to get a mortgage in my own right since I am self-employed.
My husband and I saw a mediator for a few sessions but he then stoppped going and hired a solicitor. He has a pension pot of £420k and is reluctant to give me any more than 17%, because he contributed to the pension for 10 years before we married.
My main concern at the moment is where I am going to live. I manage to pay the mortgage on the house where I live by having two students, plus I use the garage to do upholstery. This means I can cover all the bills and do not ask my husband for any money. However, he wants his name removed from the mortgage which means ?I will have to sell the house and buy somewhere smaller and will lose my income.
I have never lived in rented accommodation and am terrified that once I start, I will never have a home of my own again. I wondered whether to ask if I could stay for two more years when my state pension will kick in plus wehatever pension I receive from him and Santander have told me that they would give me a 15 year mortgage on that income.
Any ideas anyone?!

  • Super I
  • Super I's Avatar
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
24 Sep 12 #357704 by Super I
Reply from Super I
Can you convert mortgage to a buy to let in your own name?

  • Angelcake
  • Angelcake's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
24 Sep 12 #357735 by Angelcake
Reply from Angelcake
I don''t know but I will check that out tomorrow. Thank you for your reply.

  • dukey
  • dukey's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
25 Sep 12 #357746 by dukey
Reply from dukey
Angel it''s a great big block of text, break it up and be factual, think like this

We are this old

Our kids are this old

We were married for so long

We still live together or we don''t for so long

I earn this he earns that

We are all Heathy or not

We own this

We owe this

Our pensions are worth this

Make it easy for members to help.

  • Angelcake
  • Angelcake's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
01 Oct 12 #358819 by Angelcake
Reply from Angelcake
Thanks for the advice!

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.