A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Maintenance Pending Suit help

  • ANNE1234
  • ANNE1234's Avatar Posted by
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
01 Oct 12 #358751 by ANNE1234
Topic started by ANNE1234
Mine is a different situation to many I believe. STBX has deliberately made himself unemployed and for many months now has done nothing but laze around whilst I work to support the children and the mortgage for which he is jointly responsible. He claims nothing as I suppose it would mean looking for work. He says he will not work so that I can''t have anything from him as he has ''paid the mortgage for x amount of years'' which is untrue and irrelevant. My solicitor is applying for the MPS but I am so fed up now of being made a fool of whilst he comes and goes as he pleases, that I am prepared to let the house be repossessed and he will lose equity too. I cannot go on living with the terrible atmosphere in the home when he is back here and the children are very unhappy.

He does have savings so does have a way of paying but I suppose any savings are jointly mine too!

Has anybody else had a situation like this where STBX is has no salary but savings of several thousands of pounds?


  • Kazzabell80
  • Kazzabell80's Avatar
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
01 Oct 12 #358760 by Kazzabell80
Reply from Kazzabell80
I think that as you have paid for everything for x amount of months you can easily demonstrate that you are able to afford the property/bills on your own so this will go in your favour.

I would advise against letting the house be repossessed just so that he loses out. Why should you and the children lose out further due to his gameplaying?

I''m afraid I can''t advise re him giving up work to limit anything that he has to pay you but, how is he living? Are you paying for his upkeep ie food etc...

He is trying to make you unhappy and it sounds as if he is succeeding but try and be the better person and don''t resort to going down to his level (I know that is easier said than done).

Do what is best for you and the children.


  • Action
  • Action's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
01 Oct 12 #358763 by Action
Reply from Action
I think it will go against him that he has given up work for the purpose he has. I''ve heard that judges don''t like it one bit and they will have seen it all before. Don''t they take into account earning potential, not just whether you can be bothered? He''ll need to prove that he''s been looking for employment. You just need to have the patience to sit back and watch his tricks backfire. I agree with Kazzabell that it''s not a good idea to let the house be re-possessed as it will drastically alter your future ability to get a mortgage or even rent.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.