A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Not sure what I''m entitled to ...

  • Angelcake
  • Angelcake's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
02 Oct 12 #358821 by Angelcake
Topic started by Angelcake
My husband and I are are both 60. We separated 18 months ago and I have supported myself since then, including paying all the bills plus mortgage. He supports our 17 year old son.
My husband takes home £2000pcm and I take home £850pcm.
He lives in a flat that has £70,000 equity and I am in the marital home that has £170,000 equity.
He has a pension worth £420,000 and I do not have one.
He wants to have his name removed from the mortgage and I am currently investigating converting the mortgage to a ''let to buy'' so that I can stay in the property.
We have no other debts.
I have the beginnings of arthritis (painful joints) and he has type II diabetes and has had 3 stents put in. Otherwise we are both fit.
Any ideas would be welcome as to what would be a fair settlement.

  • LittleMrMike
  • LittleMrMike's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
02 Oct 12 #358830 by LittleMrMike
Reply from LittleMrMike
HMMM, let''s see.
First question, am I right in assuming your son lives with you ?
Second question, you say your husband lives in a flat with £70K equity. Am I to take it then that he is the owner of this flat ?
Third question - your son is 18 and will probably fly the nest sooner or later. If that happens is the marital home likely to be too large just for you and would downsizing at that time be more sensible ?
Immediate thought is that you will probably have the right to stay in the house for the time being, but for how long, and what happens after that, I am less sure. Sooner or later, I feel you will need to sell and buy something smaller.
The other obvious consideration is his pension, and with a long marriage then you clearly have a claim on that, but I don''t like to talk about pensions except in general terms.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.