A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Not declaring income

  • downland
  • downland's Avatar Posted by
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
14 Oct 12 #360912 by downland
Topic started by downland
Hi all, if I were to advise my soclicitor that my stbx has told me he is not declaring all income for tax purposes would my solicitor have to act on that as he is obviously breaking the law or is there client confidentiality on that sort of information?

If this knowelge was not put forward straight away during financial discussions could it be brought in at a later date. This would be a major boat rocker and just want to get stuff sorted, not start tax office investigation and slow things down even more, hence not wanting to use it unless last resort. Also believe it would not be an amount for me to get hair off about.

Legal requirement is one thing, morally is obviously another, so looking for legal pls.

Finally, what stupid idiot for admitting it to me ..............


  • cliasmol£7
  • cliasmol£7's Avatar
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
14 Oct 12 #360922 by cliasmol£7
Reply from cliasmol£7
My ex causing similar problems, is self employed via limited companies, has been fiddling tax man for years, now trying some of tricks on me.
I have been advised the only way to get full financial disclosure is via courts, expensive and stressful, but I have to have money to live on.
A financial Barrister/ Accountant has also been suggested , I think that I will have to do this, what do others think ?
I don t think that they involve the tax people, but you can always tell them after you have got your money.

  • downland
  • downland's Avatar Posted by
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
14 Oct 12 #360955 by downland
Reply from downland
Not so much money involved that it would be worth costs (good money after bad).

What I dont want to do is mention it and then have my solicitor turn round and say that am legally bound to follow it up asap. Just more mess and delay and bad feeling before we get to last ditch .......

  • leanng
  • leanng's Avatar
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
14 Oct 12 #360962 by leanng
Reply from leanng
I''ve just had my First Appointment with exchange of form E etc...

my ex did not disclose self employment on his form e and i have raised it in the questionnaire.

it''s up to him now to give some sort of excuse to his solicitor and for his solicitor to explain to him he is committing fraud....

  • busy bee
  • busy bee's Avatar
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
14 Oct 12 #360968 by busy bee
Reply from busy bee
I would suggest that you ask a hypothetical question and see how your solicitor responds... something like "hypothetically if I were to advise you on some evidence that I have come across about tax affairs what is your legal position on that - do you have to inform HMRC?" and then see what they say. As you are asking in an abstract way, I don;t believe they can do anything about it. Also if you think about it - you aren;t committing fraud so it would be third party evidence and therefore surely nothing could be done about it - it would be down to the other solicitirs and not yours.

All the best

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.