A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

can soon to be ex claim my inheritence?

  • hannahsmith
  • hannahsmith's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
01 Nov 17 #497321 by hannahsmith
Topic started by hannahsmith
just been told Decree Nisi is 4th dec and i can appliy for absolute on or after 16 jan
he s awkward and in denial my legal aid soliicotor says i choose cosent order or Clean Break order i left husband 20 months ago due to abuse and moved in with dad. dad died at christmas and left me his house im struggling to find work and on beneifts

my sol wants to write to him for finances pensions etc and to sigh Clean Break order, but he has mental hleath issues and is a nasty piece of work he would never sign ive no money he has plenty where do i stand? im scared of him and need a non mol or restraining order im scared he l go after the house i inherited its not the marital home

can i make up a will and leave everything to my daughters? would that protect me?

  • polar
  • polar's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
02 Nov 17 #497333 by polar
Reply from polar
No expert but I think the answer may be that he can go for your inheritance if you were still married. This may be negotiable of course and up to a judge if you separated 20 months ago. Keep records proving this.

No you cannot shift the property to your daughter by leaving it in your will. One of the reasons for this is that a will can be changed.

Im not sure but you might get away with gifting to your daughter but unfortunately this would have been better done by your father.I think gifting it might be seen as shifting assets.

You may be able to claim the house as your primary and only residence and you have to be housed.

As said someone else might advise you better.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11