A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Financial Order after Decree Absolute

  • CantCope
  • CantCope's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
17 Nov 17 #497679 by CantCope
Topic started by CantCope
Hello, I am hoping someone can provide me with some advice on here, as I'm at the end of my tether!
I left my ex-husband 3 years ago and our divorce was finalised in January this year. He divorced me on adultery (but I paid for it). There was no financial/Consent Order so I understand we are both still able to claim from the other for money??
Anyway, I signed the house (my share of the equity). I just wanted to get away from the marriage. He is now threatening to come after me for half of a redundancy payment I received whilst we were still married. My question is, although I understand if there is no financial order in place before Decree Absolute, can he still chase me for money that was received and spent during the marriage?? Or is the financial order to protect you from future monies received/earnt, etc?
Sorry if I'm not making much sense, but I am totally out of my depth here and could really do with some advice.
Thanks :unsure:

  • WYSPECIAL's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
17 Nov 17 #497685 by WYSPECIAL
Reply from WYSPECIAL
It will be based on your financial circumstances now. He won’t be able. To claim something that no longer exists

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11