A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Help - don't know what to do next controlling ex

  • hopeful2018
  • hopeful2018's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
03 Feb 18 #499329 by hopeful2018
Topic started by hopeful2018
Hi, would really appreciate some advice, my husband filed for divorce, even though he committed adultery several times during our 20 year marriage, unfortunately I am on low earnings and could not afford the solicitors fees to divorce him, and he moved on and is now getting remarried in a couple of months. the Decree Absolute went through in Aug 2017 during the process we went to two mediation sessions and finances were agreed, but the court did not agree (Nov 2017) and said that I am entitled to more then what he wanted to give, he has now parted company with his solicitor and refuses to talk to me.

The house was sold and the money that was left over (Under 25K) is being held by his ex solicitor and also he has a pension.

All I want to do is move on with my three children, and have a fair conclusion to this mess, but I feel he is enjoying still having control of my life :(

Any advice what I need to do next would mean everything to me. Can I file for a financial order so the court has to decide?? Is this expensive?

  • Deborah66
  • Deborah66's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
03 Feb 18 #499337 by Deborah66
Reply from Deborah66
Hi Hopeful 2018

I notice this is your first post so I want to say hello and hope you find this forum welcoming and helpful to you.

Can I clarify what you mean when you say the court did not agree to your financial agreement in Nov 2017? Was a Consent Order filed at court asking a judge to make the order? What happened then did you get written notice that the court would not make the order for the reasons you give?

What are your circumstances, ages, duration of marriage, age of children, value of assets and pensions, respective incomes and what were the details of the settlement you agreed in mediation?

Subject to clarification, I will reply with some options for you to consider.

Best wishes

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11