A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.


  • brighid
  • brighid's Avatar Posted by
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
09 Feb 18 #499527 by brighid
Topic started by brighid
Hi, I have just received form E from my stbx solicitor (2 weeks late) and am pondering appropriate questions.
He has a large amount of debt. Although he had some debt when we separated - 8 years ago now - it has increased substantially.
I have managed to pay off all of my debt (including some significant joint debt) in this time, despite his income being much larger than mine (2.5 times as much currently)
His income needs are adequately covered by his salary according to form E, however he has stated that he needs capital to pay off his debts.
Is the judge likely to take his debts into consideration? If so am I justified in asking him to account for the large debt when his salary should adequately cover his outgoings?
He is also asking for capital for a deposit for a house when he has been renting satisfactorily since 2010. Is this likely to be classed as a 'need'. He could have easily saved the deposit if he hadn't accrued such large debts.
Thanks, sorry for the long post...

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11