A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Kids money in my savings account

  • ImanMonday
  • ImanMonday's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
24 May 19 #507713 by ImanMonday
Topic started by ImanMonday
Kids savings that are in my account under my name.

I am going through divorce process. I have a bank account that has money I saved for my children that I have not yet put into their accounts. Its the kids money. What do I do so it is not included as martial assets.

Is it too late to move it into their account? Will it look like I am hiding assets?

A lot of it was saved before the marriage.

My husband is very greedy, he will likely want half (as its a good sum)

Or shall I be upfront and say its the kids'money and get husband to agree not to touch it.

He has a house (dont think has much equity) and I dont. Is there something that I can propose to him so he leaves the kids money in my account alone

  • Pink Pantha
  • Pink Pantha's Avatar
  • New Member
  • New Member
24 May 19 #507715 by Pink Pantha
Reply from Pink Pantha
I have no idea. But surely if you pop the money into a child's ISA or an account where the children automatically take control of it when they reach 18 or 21 this shows that the money will go directly to the children?

  • ImanMonday
  • ImanMonday's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
28 May 19 #507748 by ImanMonday
Reply from ImanMonday
Thanks. I will need to access the money to pay for their school fees and deposit on a house for them

  • Cheesestring
  • Cheesestring's Avatar
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
28 May 19 #507759 by Cheesestring
Reply from Cheesestring
Open a bank account on your children's name and deposit money in that. When you make the transfer reference it 'school fees' or 'uniform' etc

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11