A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Sale of matrimonial home

  • Marty2004
  • Marty2004's Avatar Posted by
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
04 Sep 19 #509507 by Marty2004
Topic started by Marty2004
Hi, I wonder can anyone help me. The matrimonial home is on the market, and Consent Order is in place. However I have just found out that exes solicitor has been writing to the estate agent, and I have not received copies of these letters. I have asked the estate agent to forward them to me but he won’t. My question is should I be getting copies of these letters. The house is jointly owned. Thanks in advance.

  • gopher5
  • gopher5's Avatar
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
26 Oct 19 #510144 by gopher5
Reply from gopher5
Yes, you should be getting copies of all letters. Otherwise, withdraw from the Consent Order.

  • hadenoughnow
  • hadenoughnow's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
26 Oct 19 #510148 by hadenoughnow
Reply from hadenoughnow
You cannot withdraw from a Consent Order if it has been stamped by the court. It is a legally binding court order.

Have a look at the wording of the order and see what it says about conduct of sale. If you have joint conduct then yes, you should be included in the process. This would include agreeing joint letters of instruction.

If it says your ex has sole conduct then she is in charge of the process. You would not expect to be involved.

If it is joint instruction and is not happening as it should, you need to contact her solicitor to request copies of the letters. It is not the estate agent's place to share them with you.


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11