A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Advice re default costs certificate

  • Flower64
  • Flower64's Avatar Posted by
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
18 Dec 19 #510768 by Flower64
Topic started by Flower64
The court has awarded a default costs certificate for the divorce costs. I've recently filed for ancillary relief in the last few days and I'm exempt from mediation. He has avoided any attempt to engage with the court process thus far and has ignored the judgement for costs.

Is it worth me looking to enforce the judgement or should I wait and include the amount in my form E and try and address it through the ancillary relief proceedings?

There are charges to try and enforce it and as I've been unsuccessful in recovering anything this far I don't know which option would be best.

Advice much appreciated

  • .Charles
  • .Charles's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
18 Dec 19 #510771 by .Charles
Reply from .Charles
You could use it as a bargaining chip in the financial negotiations but normally the receiving party would use it as a compromise on their part I.e. you would reach an agreement subject to you agreeing not to enforce.

The best way of dealing with it is to sort out the financial settlement and once the dust has settled you can enforce the default costs certificate. If you use a bailiff, those charges get added on and recovered from the other side (if a recovery is made).


  • Flower64
  • Flower64's Avatar Posted by
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
20 Dec 19 #510784 by Flower64
Reply from Flower64
Thank you Charles, much appreciated

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11