A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Mon/Fri 9am-6pm       Sat/Sun 2pm-6pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

Read our guide to Divorce Financial Settlements

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Delay FDR

  • Juneunderpants
  • Juneunderpants's Avatar Post Author
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
09 Oct 2020 09:40 #514389 by Juneunderpants
Topic posted by Juneunderpants
Hello, my FDR is on the 3rd of November and I I have just been diagnosed with colon cancer. As you can imagine I’m finding it hard enough representing my self without having this diagnosis thrown at me. I want to delay the FDR but unsure how to word a letter to court/the other side. Anyone had to delay for similar reasons?
Thanks for reading.

  • hadenoughnow
  • hadenoughnow's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
10 Oct 2020 09:57 #514399 by hadenoughnow
Reply from hadenoughnow
I am very sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Hopefully it has been caught early and can be treated successfully.
When are you due to start treatment? If it is soon and you would not be fit enough for FDR that would be a good reason for an adjournment. You can ask the other side to make a joint application. In the circumstances it would be reasonable for them to do so.
If they won't you can contact the court directly but you will need to copy them in. The court may need you to submit a formal application for adjournment. If it is two weeks before there should be no cost. You should provide what medical evidence you can.


  • Juneunderpants
  • Juneunderpants's Avatar Post Author
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
10 Oct 2020 10:02 #514400 by Juneunderpants
Reply from Juneunderpants
Thank you, is there a letter template that I could use?

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11