A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Final Order Made / Decree Absolute

  • brokensoul
  • brokensoul's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
18 Mar 21 #516126 by brokensoul
Topic started by brokensoul
Hi all, following 3 years of protracted civil divorce proceedings, the Judge made a Final Order whereby I have to pay a lump sum of X amount in the next few months.
W was applicant and I (H) am the respondent.
I intend to pay the lum sum, but my question is now the Judge has made the Final Order in the final hearing, what happens to the Decree Absolute?

Should this have been issued at the same time. Ive read somewhere the Final Order is only binding when the Decree Absolute is issued?

Or, does the W still need to apply for it? I am aware if she fails to apply for it, I have the recourse to do this.


  • .Charles
  • .Charles's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
19 Mar 21 #516137 by .Charles
Reply from .Charles
The order will not be enforceable until the Decree Absolute is made.

The Court can deal with the DA at the same time as the final order if an application for the DA is made. The Court can't issue the DA without an application by one of the parties.


  • brokensoul
  • brokensoul's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
19 Mar 21 #516142 by brokensoul
Reply from brokensoul
Thank you kindly

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11