A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

csa payments

  • elliejay
  • elliejay's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
21 Apr 10 #199671 by elliejay
Topic started by elliejay
Does anyone have experience of csa ?
My ex partner makes payments of around £450 to the csa. I have been claiming income support and housing benefit so have only received £10 per week.
Now I am only claiming a bit toward council tax but cannot get anyone at csa to tell me how much csa payments I should be entitled to. I receive an odd payment now and again. I'm finding it very hard to budget. Everytime I phone I speak to a different person and no-one knows about my case or can explain what I should be getting.
I keep asking for a letter setting out what I should get but never receive one.
Does anyone know if there is an appeals department or some-one in a higher position that I can write to or phone for help.
I am now getting into debt and am getting worried.
Thank you

  • insane
  • insane's Avatar
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
21 Apr 10 #199675 by insane
Reply from insane
lots of similar unhelpfull deallings with the csa unfortunately yes you can lodge complaint online or in writing and this i would suggest should be your first step however i would still say they are not the fastest department to deal with state on it what you want to know re your case nd good luck x

  • mumsty
  • mumsty's Avatar
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
22 May 10 #205100 by mumsty
Reply from mumsty
Hi Elliejay
I have only just seen your post and am in a very similar situation.

It used to be that, if you claimed Income Support you could only keep £20 of any maintenance from the CSA per week. Anything above that would reduce your Income Support.

This meant that if you were receiving IS (Income Support)of £64 a week and your ex was paying £50 a week maintenance, the first £20 would be disregarded and the other £30 would reduce your IS to £34 a week.

However, after browsing the CSA website this week, I have discovered that on 12 April 2010 new rules were applied and maintenance is now not taken into account and maintenance is not being taken into account at all.

On discussion with the CSA I also found out that I have a case worker assigned to my case (as does everyone).

I would suggest you call them (0845 609 0092), ask who your case worker is, speak to them and also ask how you go about getting backpayment of maintenance back to 12 April.

I know this is definately going to make me better off and the kids will definately benefit from this change in the law.

Good Luck


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11