A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Help please, savings and benefits

  • mummyoftwo
  • mummyoftwo's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
01 May 10 #201730 by mummyoftwo
Topic started by mummyoftwo
i've just joined and wondering if anyone can help me.
I'm seperated from my husband but still living in the same house. Am due to move out soon when house is ready.

I currently claim DLA and Carers allowance for my disabled child, and have been told that I will also be entitled to child tax credits when i'm a single parent, however i am not sure if the settlement from our property will effect these benefits as i will then having savings so to speak!

Any help would be greatly appreciated

  • LittleMrMike
  • LittleMrMike's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
01 May 10 #201740 by LittleMrMike
Reply from LittleMrMike
Capital or savings can affect benefits which are means tested such as

Income support/JSA
Housing/Council tax benefit.

It does not affect DLA. I don't think it affects carers allowance but CA can affect other benefits.

I would suggest a benefits check with a CAB.
I haven't done this sort of thing fopr years and my knowledge may be out of date.


  • deevorce
  • deevorce's Avatar
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
05 Jul 10 #212580 by deevorce
Reply from deevorce
If you are already separated even if living under the same roof as your STBX, you can still apply for tax credits in your own right.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11