A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

IS / CTC for self employed

  • tdiv3389
  • tdiv3389's Avatar Posted by
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
22 Jun 10 #210379 by tdiv3389
Topic started by tdiv3389
can someone run a small business and claim IS /CTC.

E.g. if they take £90 on average per week from a number of orders can they put that through a small company and pay themselves £6 per hour for 15 hours

The actual work for those orders probably only takes 4-5 hours but that ignores a lot of the admin side required to get the orders in the first place... I'm sure there is a good case to be made that 15h work actually occurs.

obviously if this is possible then the benefits implications of this are several £k per year (at least until lunchtime today - afafter that who knows).

anyone know?

  • Emma6607
  • Emma6607's Avatar
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
22 Jun 10 #210380 by Emma6607
Reply from Emma6607
In brief yes you can run a business and claim IS and CTC, you would need to provide accounts for the business however they will disregard the 1st £20 of income afterwhich they will deduct it pound for pound from your benefit which means your earning might exceed your benefit and so they will not pay.

Ring your local Jobcentre Plus and ask them to do a Better Off Calculator to review your options

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11