A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Separation and Benefit entitlements

  • Delilah28
  • Delilah28's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
14 Aug 10 #219214 by Delilah28
Topic started by Delilah28

Myself and my ex partner separated 4 years ago. We have two children now aged 15 and 17. At the time I agreed to transfer the child benefit for both children to their father to enable him to claim all the benefit entitlements including mortgage support due to the fact he was not working.

We have always held joint custody arrangements with the children with the eldest child certainly for the last couple of years choosing to stay with his father for the majority of the time. In view of this I am not too bothered about claiming for the oldest child. The youngest child however I have for at least 50% of the time during school term (one week off, one week on ) and the majority of the time during the holidays.

It has come to the point now whereby I can no longer afford to have him without some form of benefit support. I do work (and have a net income of £1080) but this money is tied up in mortgage payments for my residential property, direct debits etc. I have investment properties as well but the rental income I get just about covers the mortgages etc.

I noticed from previous posts child benefit is awarded based on where he is classed as mostly living from. Strangely enough the school has had my address as my youngest child's resident address for the last 4 years.

Can you tell me where I stand about claiming for anything. Its working tax credit I really need but I think I need to be claiming child benefit to get it. Have they changed the rules yet so that child benefit can be split accordingly. I know that if I am acknowledged as claiming some kind of child benefit it opens the door to other benefits I can claim but as it is I am just classed as a single person and it is not fare:(. I have chosen not to claim before hand as me and their dad do have an amicable relationship and he is still not working therefore I did not want to mess up his entitlements but at the same time I'm also now struggling.
Any suggestions.:S

  • onamission
  • onamission's Avatar
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
14 Aug 10 #219216 by onamission
Reply from onamission
Hi try this benefits checker


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11