A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

is this legal?

  • manfriday
  • manfriday's Avatar Posted by
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
28 Aug 11 #284982 by manfriday
Topic started by manfriday
advice needed

my stbx has told me that she has been claiming tax credits as a single woman since april.
she had to tell me as her our renewal form was sent to her mums address,she has stayed in the family home since she told me our marriage was over,i had no idea she had done this and i also asked how much xtra she was recieving which she declined to tell me.

is she allowed to do this as my name was on the form(tax credits)which i filled out in may and returned.

any advice would be greatfull

  • WYSPECIAL's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
28 Aug 11 #284984 by WYSPECIAL
Reply from WYSPECIAL
If you claimed as a couple beforehand then they should have written to you as well to tell you the claim had ended. They always write to both parties individually.

Has she mis-informed them about the address she is living at? If she has told them that she is living at her mums with the children but isn't it could be dodgy ground.

If you are happy to do it, bearing in mind it could get your stbx into trouble, you could ring the tax credit line and ask them about your claim as a couple. If they say it is closed ask details of when this was done and that you haven't received notification.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11