A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Confused regarding stbx's benefits???

  • TimA
  • TimA's Avatar Posted by
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
23 Oct 11 #294145 by TimA
Topic started by TimA
Hi all,

In readiness for my next mediation session I'm trying to work out how much the stbx gets in benefits now she has a part time job.

When she was without a job she got:

1. Child Tax Credit
2. Income Support
3. Child Benefit
4. child maintenance

My assumption is that No 2 will be gone for good but 1, 2 and 4 will continue albeit as a revised rate. No 4 will obviously continue through me.

Could anyone confirm what is correct please? She will be working 16 hours a week and I reckon she is work about £7180 pa before deductions in her new role.

Thanks as ever for any advice!

  • NellNoRegrets
  • NellNoRegrets's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
23 Oct 11 #294147 by NellNoRegrets
Reply from NellNoRegrets

  • lilacroses
  • lilacroses's Avatar
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
23 Oct 11 #294149 by lilacroses
Reply from lilacroses

Yes u are correct she will get Child Tax, Child benefit, child maintenance, but will no longer receive income support but have wages instead.

She may also be entitled to Working tax credit if she is working at least 16 hours a week and the amount depends on how much she earns.


  • TimA
  • TimA's Avatar Posted by
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
23 Oct 11 #294150 by TimA
Reply from TimA
Thanks for prompt and useful replies both!

  • TimA
  • TimA's Avatar Posted by
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
23 Oct 11 #294156 by TimA
Reply from TimA
Hi again,

Thanks for the information thus far.

It seems that Child Benefit will stay the same as found out using:

child maintenance will stay the same as the children's circumstances will not change. Originally found out using:

The difficult one for me is the Child Tax Credit. I am looking to take a near accurate figure into the room. I have the original figure when she was on Income Support and simply entered her salary as if she was working the last full tax year and not suprisingly it has come out less. I put the salary details in along with the children's details to confirm they are all in full time edu. The site was:

It gave me a figure of £5343.32 which works out at £445.27 pcm.

Would anyone be kind enough to let me know if I am on the right lines or not?

Thanks in advance.

  • gotmysmile
  • gotmysmile's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
24 Oct 11 #294179 by gotmysmile
Reply from gotmysmile
I think it will depends because her working hrs are on the border so to speak. So if she works 16 hrs but only term time then it's different to 16 hrs every week.

Also don't forget the figure used is nett of ension contribution.

AND this is an indication only. My ex did this to me and his figure came out about £150 a month higher than my award!


  • mumtoboys
  • mumtoboys's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
24 Oct 11 #294183 by mumtoboys
Reply from mumtoboys
Term time working - assuming she works in a school or has a job that follows educational working patterns, it is a 'recognised working pattern' and as such, you are not penalised for not working 16 hours during school holidays. In other words, it's not your fault if the school is closed so you are assessed as if working 16 hours over a 52 week period. You do have to be careful with the childcare element, however, as you only need 39 weeks of childcare.

On a low wage she is likely to get some Council Tax Benefit as well.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11