A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Counter Claim from Husband on Child Tax Credits

  • TEF
  • TEF's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
23 Nov 11 #299290 by TEF
Topic started by TEF
Can anyone offer any advice. I left my husband in August as he would not leave the home, I am divorcing him, on grounds of unreasonable behaviour as he will not admit adultery.
Anyway, I work school hours and collect our son from school every day except one Friday a fortnight. We have shared residence at the moment. However, even on his night of a Wednesday and Thursday, I still give our son his dinner.
I have been claiming the CTC as I earn 11k per annum and he earns 18k. He is living in our big house mortgage free and I am having to rent at 595 per month.
I have had to fill a form in for the CTC as has he, to detail who pays for what, and who does school collection, holidays etc.
Does anyone have any experience of this and who you think will be awarded the CTC as I am worried like mad I will lose it, and consequently will really struggle to live without it.
With it I will have £90.00 per week to live off. Without it, I cannot imagine what I will do.

Any comments or peace of mind from your experience is welcomed.

Thank you.:unsure:

  • rubytuesday
  • rubytuesday's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
23 Nov 11 #299311 by rubytuesday
Reply from rubytuesday
Welcome to Wikivorce.

CTC is usually paid to the parent in receipt of Child Benefit.

In cases where there is a dispute between the parents as to who is entitled to claim, the Tax Office will ask for details such as you have stated above, and then make a decision based on that. If you can back up your "evidence" with emails, etc. confirming any arrangements that would help your case.

If your son is spending just 2 nights per week with his Father, I cant see how the tax office would award him the CTC.

Shared residence doesn't always determine that a child will spend an equal amount of time with each parent, and it makes good economic sense for the parent earning less to claim CTC, as it means that the child will not be subject to a huge disparity of household income between the two homes.

  • TEF
  • TEF's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
24 Nov 11 #299468 by TEF
Reply from TEF
Thanks rubytuesday. My thoughts entirely but just hope that is how they assess it in this instance.

I get the child benefit - of which he also disputes this as he keeps saying that our old house is sons main residence now.

Am I wrong in claiming the CTC and then asking ex for half of £110.00 for a school trip - or should I be paying for this all - what do you think.

As I think in me asking for this instigated him putting in the counter claim ? I could be wrong just a gut feeling.

Anyway, should hear back shortly, I have put a detailed letter in backing up the claim, but no evidence as such - so hope I will be OK.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11