A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Shared Residence and Childcare

  • u6c00
  • u6c00's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
26 Apr 12 #326681 by u6c00
Topic started by u6c00
Hi all, I''m new here and I wondered if someone could offer any advice from their own knowledge or previous experience.

I have recently separated from my partner. She took my 3 year old son and moved out. I am currently pursuing a shared residence order through court as she has made clear that she is unwilling to consider anything except her having sole residence and (at most) me having alternate weekends contact. For me this isn''t enough, I have always played an active role in my son''s upbringing, and want to continue to do so. I want my son to grow up realising that I am a father in the true sense, that I am involved in all aspects of his life, including school, homework, friendship, advice. In short not just someone he comes to at the weekend.

To enable this I have moved house to be nearer so that I will be able to maintain his school routines when he is with me.

I am currently unemployed. I left my university course to make this a real possibility, but I don''t want to be unemployed indefinitely! My aim is to wait until after the residence issue is resolved so that I can find a job that fits around looking after my son.

In an ideal world I would like full residence, however as this is a pretty unrealistic prospect I think the best that I can hope for is to look after him for alternate full weeks.

Does anyone know if it is possible to make arrangements with Tax Credits to enable me to receive some kind of funding for childcare? My ex is extremely hostile, and I don''t see any way that we will come to any amicable arrangement, but if she is the only one able to claim tax credits it will leave me in a very difficult position when searching for a job, as I will have to find a job that pays well enough to be able to afford childcare, or find a job that is willing to accommodate very specific hours to fit in with my childcare responsibilities. In the current climate where most people are simply glad of any job, I can''t see the second option being a realistic possibility.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  • Fiona
  • Fiona's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
26 Apr 12 #326683 by Fiona
Reply from Fiona
Sadly sharing care 50:50 can be a real problem when there isn''t enough money. Tax credits and currently chid maintenance invariably goes to the parent in receipt of Chid Benefit. CB for a chid cannot be shared, although when there is more than one child each parent can claim CB for different children.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.