A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

I''m moving out - can my wife get benefits

  • bobbeckit
  • bobbeckit's Avatar Posted by
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
28 Jun 12 #339680 by bobbeckit
Topic started by bobbeckit
I have been advised by my solicitor that my position will not be damaged should I move out of the FMH and into one of my rental properties, whilst we sort out the divorce and settlement.

I can potentially afford to keep the 2 households going in the short term by pulling the belt in a bit.

However, it has just occurred to me that my wife might be entitled to some benefits if we seperated, she does not work at present. However, I don''t want a claim to start the ball rolling on ancilary relief, but if she can get help with the council tax etc, etc then this would be helpful?

In the interim she is going to be looking for a job if that makes any difference.


  • maisymoos
  • maisymoos's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
28 Jun 12 #339685 by maisymoos
Reply from maisymoos
She would be able to apply for single occupancy to achieve a 25% reduction in council tax.

If there are children she can also apply for Child Tax Credit.

Working tax credit could be applied for if she works over 24 hours a week.

  • sillywoman
  • sillywoman's Avatar
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
28 Jun 12 #339686 by sillywoman
Reply from sillywoman
Your wife will be entitled to Job Seekers if she is actively seeking work and if she is the only adult in the house she is entitled to her council tax being reduced by a quarter and even paid for entirely whilst she is on jobseekers.

If there is a mortgage on the property and she is on job seekers she will be entitled to have the interest on her half of the mortgage (assuming it is in joint names) paid.

I hope this helps.

  • jonathancj
  • jonathancj's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
28 Jun 12 #339687 by jonathancj
Reply from jonathancj
She may well be entitled to some benefits. The CAB are often very good at advising on the specifics. If you are going to move to a property which is presently rented out, you just need to check with any mortgage lenders. I have come across some buy to let mortgages which expressly forbid borrowers to occupy the property as their home and any breach of this can lead to possession proceedings. Check that you are allowed to live there before you move in.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11