A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Job Seekers Allowance question

  • confused 101
  • confused 101's Avatar Posted by
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
21 Jul 12 #344469 by confused 101
Topic started by confused 101
Hi - my STBX husband is financially pathetic. He has been unemployed for around 2 years and has been living off an inherritance. This has now run out.

He moved out many years ago and rents a property. We are waiting for our FDR hearing.

He is telling me he is not being allowed to claim job seekers allowance or housing benefit as he has a half share in our home (I know he won''t get half - it''s just what he likes to say to me)

I can believe the story on housing benefit but I just can''t believe the story on job seekers.

Does any one know anything different? All the research I have done suggests that as he has savings under £16k he would be entitled to it, although he would be entitled to contributionbased anyway as he had manay years of pying NI contributions.

Am I being spun yet anoher line?

  • MarriottR
  • MarriottR's Avatar
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
21 Jul 12 #344481 by MarriottR
Reply from MarriottR
I do know that if you have savings of more than £14000 you can''t claim. It should be easy to check online. When I was unemployed I was stopped on the basis my wife earnt too much... Then was told that wasn''t true and in the end was told i couldnt... So there are some confusions amongst those who administor benefits.
Are you certain all his inheritance has gone or is it just a line to avoid paying you?

  • BoysMum
  • BoysMum's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
21 Jul 12 #344502 by BoysMum
Reply from BoysMum
I am not sure that he would be entitled to contribution based Job Seekers. I think I am right in saying that they check contributions made in the last 2 financial years prior to the claim.

If he has been living off inheritance money in the last 2 years, and hasn''t made any NI contributions, I think he is probably telling you the truth.

However, he could apply for non contribution based, but that is a completely different ball game. They will delve into his finances with a fine tooth comb.

Hope this helps.

  • Stingrayj
  • Stingrayj's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
21 Jul 12 #344577 by Stingrayj
Reply from Stingrayj
Hi confused....I know that contributions based is based on what you earned in the last tax year. I returned to UK after living in Spain for over 10 years and eventually got Income based JSA when they decided I was habitually resident after 2 months. Although I am joint owner of two propertiesn with a lot of equity, they were discounting one until September as it is up for sale and I am awaiting FH outcome...left in the proverbial by stbx.
I was entitled to Housing benefit but because my landlady didn''t want DSS and I couldn''t afford deposit on another place I had to carry on and not claim.
I''m sure he will be entitled to the income based JSA.

  • confused 101
  • confused 101's Avatar Posted by
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
22 Jul 12 #344632 by confused 101
Reply from confused 101
thanks for your help - i will continue to advise him to apply for income based.

Not sure what to do re housing though.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.