A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Claiming for kids full-time - Duty to report?

  • strongerthanithought
  • strongerthanithought's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
12 Sep 12 #355497 by strongerthanithought
Topic started by strongerthanithought
I know someone who''s getting divorced who is claiming WTC, CTC, CB etc for her kids but she has 50/50 residence. A proper 50/50 but not agreed in court orders or anything.


  • rubytuesday
  • rubytuesday's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
12 Sep 12 #355500 by rubytuesday
Reply from rubytuesday
Can you be absolutely sure that the children are spending an equal amount of nights with each parent?

Its not uncommon where parents have an amicable shared parenting arrangement and for the lower-earning parent to claim the child related benefits, meaning that both homes are on an almost equal parity income-wise, and that the children aren''t going from one reasonably well-off household to one that is struggling financially.

Sometimes other people''s private arrangements are just that - private ;)

  • u6c00
  • u6c00's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
12 Sep 12 #355504 by u6c00
Reply from u6c00
Unfortunately the current system is that only one parent may claim the child benefit. The person that does is eligible to receive all child-related benefits (income support, housing benefit, WTC, CTC etc). That person receives the entire benefit, regardless of the number of nights they have.

If separated parents get on they may well come to some arrangement, as Ruby suggests, or perhaps one parent may receive the child benefit (in order to qualify for housing benefit) but pay it as part of their maintenance to the other parent.

You can''t know what their private arrangements are, but on the face of what you''ve written in your post I can''t see that anything untoward is going on.

  • jslgb
  • jslgb's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
12 Sep 12 #355509 by jslgb
Reply from jslgb
I'' m sorry, i had to chuckle at this!

What makes you think that this person is doing anything wrong or that it has anything to do with you? Its not as if they are doing something illegal such as claiming benefits whilst working.

As Ruby and U6 have rightly pointed out, private arrangements are exactly that. If either parent has a problem with it it is down to them to address it. There is no wrong doing and so nothing to report.

  • Justaparent
  • Justaparent's Avatar
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
12 Sep 12 #355515 by Justaparent
Reply from Justaparent
Perfectly legal and ok as far as I''m aware.

What were you planning to do about it?

  • sexysadie
  • sexysadie's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
12 Sep 12 #355517 by sexysadie
Reply from sexysadie
As Ruby says, some people make private arrangements about these things. That''s something you can do if you are amicable.

I know two families with 50:50 shared care quite well.

In one of these one of the children officially lives with one parent, and the other with the other. This means that they both claim child benefit etc., for one child each. I suspect that in April he will lose his right to CB so I would imagine that she will then claim for both of them.

In the other family, the mother has a disability and can''t work. They have agreed that the children will officially live with her so that she can claim more benefits, giving them a better standard of living. He also willingly pays child support, which also equalises the income of the two households. Neither of them has much money, so the loss of these benefits is noticeable to him, but he thinks it''s fair that the children''s lifestyle in both houses is more or less equal.

What business is it of yours what she is claiming, anyway?

Best wishes,

  • strongerthanithought
  • strongerthanithought's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
12 Sep 12 #355533 by strongerthanithought
Reply from strongerthanithought
Both parents work full time and she has told benefits people that she has the kids full time so is claiming 100% of CTC, WTC etc even though they are only with her 50% of the time.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.