A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Child Benefit and Tax Credits when sharing childca

  • Thorian14jade
  • Thorian14jade's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
21 Sep 12 #357265 by Thorian14jade
Topic started by Thorian14jade
Does anyone know what happens with Child Benefit payments and child tax credits when you divorce and agree to have 50/50 care for your child as we have agreed that half the time our daughter will live with me and half the time with him, does the payment get split or how does it work? Also we earn too much as a couple to claim teax credits but on my own i wont earn enough so will I then be eigible for tax credits even though we have joint care for our child?

  • Fiona
  • Fiona's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
21 Sep 12 #357266 by Fiona
Reply from Fiona
It isn''t possible for both parents to claim child benefit or tax credits for one child although when there or two children each parent can claim for one child each. In your situation when there is only one child it makes sense for the parent on the lower income to claim CB and tax credits as it means there is more money overall to support your daughter.

  • esishemolsogsi
  • esishemolsogsi's Avatar
  • New Member
  • New Member
12 Jan 13 #374033 by esishemolsogsi
Reply from esishemolsogsi
Same question as above, we both look after 3 kids 50;50, so do the credits get split 50;50 or is it wage dependent.
We are both low waged but she has higher housing costs.
Does anybody have any advice please

  • 99thChance
  • 99thChance's Avatar
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
04 May 13 #392073 by 99thChance
Reply from 99thChance
I am in the same situation with my stbx.

We have 3 children who we will both look after 50:50. My stbx is increasing her hours and will become eligible for Tax credits, she will also get the child benefit.

I''m on about 25K gross a year and the Tax Credits people said I wouldn''t qualify for anything as a sole claimnant, so it makes sense for my stbx to claim for all 3 children. This should also decrease any payments I make as she won''t need so much to live on. In fact it''s quite likely she''ll have more money than me, maybe I should ask her to give me money?

Hope this helps.

  • 99thChance
  • 99thChance's Avatar
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
04 May 13 #392088 by 99thChance
Reply from 99thChance
I''ve actually just used the Tax Credits calculator to work out much my stbx might get.

See taxcredits.hmrc.gov.uk/Qualify/DIQHousehold.aspx

If I''ve entered everything right, then the stbx will be entitled to over £10k a year in tax credits. Someone let me know if they think this is way off.

Adding this to her own income, plus she''ll also get child benefit, 3 children about 2.5k a year, she''ll have more money than me.

  • Gillian48
  • Gillian48's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
04 May 13 #392094 by Gillian48
Reply from Gillian48
I know I get child tax credits as I don''t work they are no where near that figure but I think working tax credits are maybe more?
They''ve just brought in Universal Tax credits - not sure which areas but maybe the figures might be different on that.
The whole benefit system is extremely confusing - CAB are the best ones to maybe confirm the amounts??
Sorry not much help but hope you get sorted! x

  • jslgb
  • jslgb's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
04 May 13 #392096 by jslgb
Reply from jslgb
10k a year?? I dont think there are any circumstances where tax credits run so high! If there are it would be intresting to see how. Mine are nowhere near that, i get child tax credits at the highest rate!

As for your payments, if you go through the CSA they wont reduce at all. They just look at your income, not hers. How about it you claimed child benefit and tax credits for one child, and she claims for the other two? Would you be able to claim then?

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.