A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

She wants me out

  • thecrazy1
  • thecrazy1's Avatar Posted by
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
03 Sep 14 #443546 by thecrazy1
Topic started by thecrazy1
Hi can you tell me, if my wife and I are seperated can she claim benefits as a single mother even if we are living under
the same roof? I can''t afford to move out and she only works 16 hours. She says she can''t get any benefits until I move out.

Thank you

  • MrsMathsisfun
  • MrsMathsisfun's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
03 Sep 14 #443551 by MrsMathsisfun
Reply from MrsMathsisfun
Provided you are living completely separating (like flat mates) she should be able to claim benefits as a single parent.

If you decide that you need to move out, make sure you not liable for any household costs to the detriment of your own finances.

  • sulkypants
  • sulkypants's Avatar
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
04 Sep 14 #443578 by sulkypants
Reply from sulkypants
If all the bills are in put in her name and you sleep eat do laundry etc apart then you can be classed as separated but it would be up to her to prove that to the relevant benefit agencies, other people on the board have managed to do this but its not easy given there is no advice given buy the benefits agency about what criteria you have to meet.

Getting yourself rehoused will be another matter entirely, you wont be a priority with the local council unless you are considered at risk or have health needs.

The general advice given to a male who is normally the breadwinner is not to leave the home unless you have to because you have been ordered by a judge for example.

I dont know anything about your personal circumstances such as if you work own your own home but if you can put up with the situation do so for as long as possible. Hopefully you can sort out living accomodation near or at the end of your divorce but you have every right to remain in the family home whilst you divorce ...its not a pleasant experience I hasten to add.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11