A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Tax Credits

  • Jalisia
  • Jalisia's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
14 Jan 17 #487472 by Jalisia
Topic started by Jalisia
Hi all

I am after some advice - my solicitor had advised me that I am able to claim working tax and child tax credits which I did - Nisi on 15th November however still living under same roof and have a joint account which pays the bills. All of this has been included in form E. My STBX has said to me that I am not entitled to tax credits as we are residing at the same address.

I am worried sick now as I have now received a letter from the Tax Credits asking for additional information and I can't speak with them until Monday.
Am I eligible for them or not??


  • WYSPECIAL's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
14 Jan 17 #487473 by WYSPECIAL
Reply from WYSPECIAL
If you are separated but living under the same roof and no longer living as a couple and don't intend to get back together then yes you can claim.

They may want some evidence and your Decree Nisi will be helpful with this.

Probably wise to open your own bank account and get it paid into there. Joint accounts aren't really a good idea once you have decided to split up. If your ex max's out the overdraft you will be equally liable.

  • Jalisia
  • Jalisia's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
14 Jan 17 #487474 by Jalisia
Reply from Jalisia
Thank you so much for this advice really appreciated :)

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.