A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Universal credit and sale of FMH

  • whenwillthisend62
  • whenwillthisend62's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
19 Jul 20 #513329 by whenwillthisend62
Topic started by whenwillthisend62
Ex currently isn't working, and living with family, claiming universal credit. Neither of us want the FMH, which I currently live in. They've said they won't agree to the sale of the house, as this will impact on the UC claim (probably £100k of equity). Can they do this? They don't want the house sold until they have stable employment. The house is costing me a lot more than alternative accommodation I could arrange, and I feel like I'm being held hostage by their demands.

  • hadenoughnow
  • hadenoughnow's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
19 Jul 20 #513332 by hadenoughnow
Reply from hadenoughnow
If you need to force the sale you will have to make an application to the court having first attempted mediation.

The house can always be sold and funds retained by a solicitor pending financial settlement.


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11