A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

ex ran up debts, I''m being chased!

  • hattiedaw
  • hattiedaw's Avatar Posted by
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
19 Jun 12 #337522 by hattiedaw
Topic started by hattiedaw
After I left him my ex ran up debts on joint bank accounts (this is tens of thousands, not just a few pounds).
Once I found out I managed to get the accounts frozen (with help from my solicitor)
My ex has paid nothing towards paying these debts off.
It is the final hearing at the end of July and my solicitor is including these debts in the things that we think my ex should pay for (as he purposely did this knowing I''d left). The bank in question has been made aware of this a long time ago.
I am now receiving several phone calls a day from a debt collection company the bank has appointed. When I tell them it is subject to the final hearing and that I have no money (I earn minimum wage for 30 hours a week, get £50 a week tax credits and thats it. My son and my living costs are only just met) they are not bothered.
One actually said "I''m not interested in some ficticious court date, you owe the money now make an offer of payment". I said I could offer nothing as I was living on the breadline to keep a roof over my head in a house with no equity.
What should I do? I''ve always been told to speak to debtors to keep them in the loop but now it''s making me ill.
1) Although this debt is in my name as well as my ex''s the bank statements show that he used the account for many months after I''d left running up the overdraft to stupid amounts.
2) I seriously have no idea if I''ll get a lump sum, spousal maintenance or nothing at all so I cant give a financial statement.
What should I do?
Many thanks.

  • dukey
  • dukey's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
19 Jun 12 #337533 by dukey
Reply from dukey
There are laws saying what debt collections agency''s can and cannot do, from what i have seen on telly many take little notice, rather than take this burden alone go and talk with the CAB, let them help you, they know the law they know the rules and they deal with these agents all the time, you are being harassed, ask the CAB to help and also the national debt helpline seems to get very good feedback so maybe try them also.

I would also contact the bank and ask why they employ these tactics, they of course will blame whoever they sold the debt too, but they sold it and they have a duty to know how it will be collected.

Don`t be nice be proactive, and use all the help out there you can.

  • hattiedaw
  • hattiedaw's Avatar Posted by
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
19 Jun 12 #337534 by hattiedaw
Reply from hattiedaw
Thank you.
It''s so frustrating that I''ve told them I have no money to offer and that it is subject to a court order and then the next day they call again (Obviously think I''ve had an overnight lottery win - I wish!).
I shall seek advice from the CAB and go from there.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.