A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Does bankruptcy stop a divorce proceeding?

  • Toffebhoy
  • Toffebhoy's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
08 Sep 12 #354649 by Toffebhoy
Topic started by Toffebhoy
In September 2011 my ex submitted papers to the court for a divorce after 2 years of legal wrangling. I was declared bankrupt in March this year on the basis of marital debt accrued. All debt was in my name with the exception of a shortfall of £10k from a mortgage that was in joint names. Shortly after this I contacted the court and was told they were waiting for my ex''s lawyer to proceed. I then received a letter from the legal aid board informing me my ex was trying to extend the application to include her removal from any marital debts. The legal aid board have refused this 3 times now on the basis that I am bankrupt and my side of the debt is dealt with. I have spoken to my ex recently about where we are with the divorce and she informed me that because of me being bankrupt the divorce cannot legally be complete. Due to me being bankrupt I no longer have legal representation. Could anyone help with me with how to proceed to complete a divorce. Thanks in advance.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11