A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Ex not paying his bills and own loan

  • listep
  • listep's Avatar Posted by
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
27 Oct 12 #363214 by listep
Topic started by listep
My ex has now moved out abroad while waiting for the Consent Order to be stamped. He has 2 personal loans in his name, not aginst the house (house is in my sole name). He has also clocked a £700 mobile phone bill. He is still registered at this address and his bank account is now overdrawn, so no bills or loan repayments will come out. I have 3 questions:
1. Can his bank or mobile provider come after me for his personal unsecured loans
2. Would all this affect my credit rating and how bad (based on the address i thinknit will)
3. Is there anything I can do - i.e. write to his bank or other creditors or somehow remove him from the address as he is no longer in the country?

  • Enuff Already
  • Enuff Already's Avatar
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
27 Oct 12 #363222 by Enuff Already
Reply from Enuff Already
I would personally contact who you can with his forwarding address even if that address is abroad.

The loans are in his name and you will not be liable for those.

Re credit worthiness, whilst you are financially linked to your ex (shared bank accounts, mortgage etc) you may be impacted in some way by his financial status but you can add a statement to run in line with your own personal credit file, and severe joint liabilities asap..

  • WYSPECIAL's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
27 Oct 12 #363223 by WYSPECIAL
Reply from WYSPECIAL
Just return all the letters marked NO LONGER AT THIS ADDRESS.

  • listep
  • listep's Avatar Posted by
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
27 Oct 12 #363294 by listep
Reply from listep
Thanks, i was considering both advices and will do that asap. Also we have nothing joint - i closed joint bank account a year ago. Mortgage and bills have always been in my name only and paid on time, so the only link is the address right now.
To enuff already, How do i go about adding a note on my personal credit file? Thanks

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11